Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Perception

It is interesting to me that in a profession dominated by foreign coaches seeking a better life outside of their homeland, I represent one of the very few Americans engaged in coaching this sport in Houston.

I've always contended that if I had an accent that I'd be coaching at the national level by now. It seems that being a foreigner adds instant credibility to coaching.

One of my favorite coaches is Italian. That isn't what I like about him. What is great about Sacchi is he never played the sport before. Obviously he grew up around it, but if I'm not mistaken, he made a living as a shoe salesman. How did he go from that to directing the Italian national team to a WC final in '94?

Without an accent and being born in Houston, I've had an uphill battle. Only time and perseverance have afforded me my position today. I mingle amongst the soccer coaching elite, and I am not self conscious about my lack of accent. I'm confident in my ability...Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment